Tuesday, 15 July 2014

Decisions, Decisions!

I finished knitting the 36 squares for my Garden Plot Squares blanket.  The next part was harder than I had expected though ... deciding what arrangement to set them in ... I tried quite a few ...










and disliked them all!  Feeling a bit disheartened I put them away and got on with some other things.  The next morning I woke up and knew exactly how the squares should be set out!  I think that's called 'sleeping on' a problem!

So then it was time to block all those squares!  I didn't fancy waiting weeks while I blocked two squares per night on the ironing board, so decided to try steaming them with the iron instead.  It worked!  I just hovered the iron above each pinned out square, gave it 4 squirts of steam and then let it cool whilst I set up the next one and steamed it.

I piled up the squares - they looked very cosy!


But they were never meant to stay like that and I will post soon about how they are coming together!

God willing, I will post this on Ginny's Yarn Along later..



6 comments:

  1. Beautiful, the colour combination is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) I like red a lot, but try and control my passion for it by using other colours too sometimes ;-)

      Delete
  2. That is a lovely arrangement. Isn't it interesting how our minds can help us out overnight? I'm curious to know how you sew or crochet them together. I did a patchwork blanket a few years ago - loved knitting all the squares, but found making them into a blanket really challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fascinating isn't it, Christine! In fact, perhaps I should sleep more so that I don't waste waking time trying to work things out ;-) The answer to your question about sewing the squares together is that I'm not doing it with much finesse! As I have different colours to join I knew it was never going to look really neat so just got stuck in and over-sewed the edges to join them. If it cools down I might be able to get the last 6 squares on and then take a picture!

      Delete
  3. That is a great arrangement! I look forward to seeing it completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ranee - you've reminded me to take a picture and post on the progress!

      Delete