Tuesday, 22 July 2014

Wedding Gift Part 1

Dh and I have been invited to a wedding reception in August - the invitation asked for money towards a honeymoon, but, ever the rebel, that's not really my kind of thing, too impersonal.  I do not know the couple at all; dh used to work with the bride-to-be a couple of years ago, so it's very kind of them to invite us and I wanted to show our gratitude in a creative way.
I've been giving it some thought for a while now, and eventually settled on the idea of a small, framed cross-stitch.  Now, making something for someone you don't know is not straightforward, so I've tried to be fairly mainstream and fairly of-the-moment ...

I found some 14 count Aida ...

... and checked how much I was going to need.

I find it useful to count the squares with a pin ...

... then I got out my lovely fabric scissors ...

... and cut quite a bit more than I was going to need.

I found some tapestry needles ...

... and some thread which needed to be finished ...

... and using a single thread I attached the thread at a corner ...

... and then roughly sewed around the edges; this is to help prevent fraying during work.

One reel of thread finished, time for another one!  I needed a colour which would contrast with the colour of my design ...

... and I used this to mark the centre lines horizontally and vertically so I would know where the middle is.


Then I threaded the needle with some proper embroidery thread; I threaded both ends through the eye of the needle to help me keep the back both neat and as flat as possible.


I pushed the needle from back to front through the hole where I wanted to start stitching, ... 

... but left a decent amount of the loop of thread at the back.

Then I went back to the front and pushed the needle from front to back where I wanted the first stitch to lie - if you look in the very centre you can just see a small black stitch.

The needle came out of the back and I passed it through the loop ...

 ... gently pulled it taut and there we have it, a very neat back of fabric to start the stitching!

The work came along surprisingly quickly - probably helped by the kids being happy entertaining themselves!

However, it was not long before I made an error ... the bottom left of the H is not wide enough ... and despite trying to continue and just live with it, I found myself getting the seam ripper out and starting that letter all over again!

There, much better!

The finished back.

The 'finished' front ... of course it's not finished, it looks too lonely and loose - I'm going to add a border!

Here is the back with the border added ...

... and here is the front with the border added - definitely looking better now ... just have to do one more thing tonight ...

... remove the blue stitching which marked the centre lines and the middle ... now I can sleep, and the rest can be done another day :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment