Monday, 18 August 2014

1 T-Shirt = 1 Bag + 4 Rags


Some time ago I turned hoodies into bags and little bags so I figured it wasn't such a great leap to turn a t-shirt into a bag as well!  Perky had outgrown a t-shirt which I had decorated for her; I didn't think it would sell in a charity shop as it is too personalised (a bit like the hoodies!) so decided to have a go at making it into a bag for her.  This really was a quick job with very little thought and virtually no planning - yikes!

The t-shirt before I began!

I turned it inside out ...

... and cut off...

... the sleeves.

Not looking brilliant at this stage!

What was left of the t-shirt plus 2 new rags :-)

I used a ruler to help me find how low I wanted the bag handles to go and marked it with a pencil dot.

Then I used a pencil to mark where I would cut to make the handles.

This part was a bit scary as I was either going to get it right or completely ruin it!


Now I had 4 new rags :-) ... 

... and something which still looked more like a vest than a bag!

I pinned the bottom together.

As usual, I put the pins in the wrong way, making it awkward to remove them as I sewed!

Almost at the end ... t-shirt material is a bit tricky to work with and keeps bubbling up as you can see.

I decided to do a second line of stitching to give it a bit of strength.

Then I needed to do something about the raw edges around the handles ... I was going to overlock (zigzag) them but at the last moment found another option in my sewing machine instruction manual but can't remember what it was called now.  Anyway, it involved no tricky folding of curved edges and it will be sufficient for the purposes of this bag :-)

And here is the bag - already carrying its new cargo - Hama beads :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment