Sunday, 19 October 2014

Stepping out of the knitting zone ...



I am far more of a knitter than a crocheter, but I have made a few crocheted items over the years - all quite small, or at least made up of small parts!  Presented with the following challenge though, I knew I had to step out of my comfort zone and grab the crochet hook!
My challenge was to make a present for my step-grandmother's 91st birthday - I had 10 days (minus postage time) during which I had to continue with normal life and most of which was going to include the addition of a gorgeous golden retriever to our household while her owners took a well deserved holiday.  I also had to use whatever yarn, needles etc I already had at home as I didn't have time to take a trip to the local town.  What I really wanted to make was a cosy blanket for the coming winter, but there is no way I could knit one in the time available and I know that crochet works up faster so there was only one thing to do!  I consulted my trusty copy of The Knitting and Crochet Bible and found a stitch which was quite close - I didn't want too many holes letting the warmth out - and settled on double crochet.  I emptied bags, searched in cupboards and ummed and ahhed for a while and then decided to use 2 strands of double knit in the purple/aubergine colour against a single strand of chunky in the blue/grey colour.  To be honest, my options were fairly limited! Almost miraculously I happened to have an 8.00mm crochet hook which I'd bought a few months ago with some wool which was in a sale and hasn't been used yet. 


I am yet to decide what to do about a border, but I have a little time to work that out yet!  So far, I am really pleased with how it is turning out.  Previous attempts at crocheting large items have been disastrous as I tended to increase/decrease at the ends without knowing where I was going wrong!  I hope to be posting photos of the finished item very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment