Wednesday, 11 February 2015

Approaching sockcess!

I have long harboured a desire to knit socks and several years ago I managed to knit one pair.  They were enormous!  I have attempted on and off to knit with double pointed needles and circular needles but still struggle with them (another attempt is looming on the horizon!) so I was delighted to find a pattern for short socks using straight needles in this book which I found in the library:



Today I started sewing up one of the socks.  Above is the toe.


 Toe sewn up but not the rest ...

Here you can see the chunky cable down the centre front and the smaller cables to each side.

A bit more detail on the cable.


This is the yarn I used, which is from my inherited stash.  On the right is the remainder of one ball after knitting two socks!


And here is is!
Very cosy, but definitely needs a partner!  
So, my next task will be to block and sew up the second sock.  After that, I will have to resist the temptation to knit and get on with making a present for my niece who is getting married next month.

God willing, I will be sharing this post on Ginny's Yarn Along - why not pop over there and see what knitters from around the world have been doing!

12 comments:

  1. Cute socks! Now I want to get started on some of my own!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodi :-) Just spotted your amazing monkey nappy cover - now, if only I had a toddler to dress in one!

      Delete
  2. My first pair of socks was enormous too! I found I had to go down a coupe of needle sizes to get the proper gauge. Your sock is so very pretty. I can't wait to see the second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, great advice - thank you, Donna :-)

      Delete
  3. You did a really good job! Must warn you, socks are addictive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your warning may be too late (but very well-founded!) - found myself looking through a whole book of socks when I should have been going to bed last night - yawn!

      Delete
  4. I think socks is just one of those things. It took me forever to take the jump into sock knitting but now I love it and am so happy to have handknit socks during the winter. Your sock came out so nice, I hope you enjoy the pair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a pretty sock. I really love the yarn you are using.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathie :-) I think the yarn is meant for baby items but my dds and I decided that there was no reason why bigger people couldn't use it too ;-)

      Delete