The two scarves above needed some pretty large needles:
For readers in the UK, you will get at idea of the size of these needles by the 'tiny' pound coin they are photographed against.
The third, and as yet unfinished scarf below, has been a beast of an item. I have lost count of how many times I have re-started it. I think I have finally found a number of stitches per row which will give the scarf a decent length, especially if I manage to find the other ball of yarn which matches this one:
And in other crafting news, the blanket I have been working on for my step-grandmother is now complete. Amazingly, I only had one stitch number discrepancy - I started with 65 stitches on the first row but every other row consistently had 64 stitches (mostly because I counted each row religiously and corrected mistakes as I went along - mind you, the ability to correct crochet mistakes is an achievement in itself for me!). A little disappointingly, the blanket is not 'square' all the way round, so clearly I have some work to do on maintaining evenness of stitches. Much to my own amazement I managed to put an edging onto the blanket - I did a row of double crochet all the way round and then used a scalloped edging which I found in my trusty copy of The Knitting and Crochet Bible. I even managed to come up with a way of making the corners look half way decent. I still have a long way to go when it comes to crochet but I can feel my confidence increasing and that is half the battle won!
I'll be sharing this post on Ginny's yarn along - why not pop along and see what other crafters have been up to.