Sunday, 10 January 2016

Oh sumptuous scarf, how soft thou art ...

On the many occasions I have re-sorted and re-stored my inherited stash I passed over a single fluffy ball of yarn.  I'd noticed that it looked fairly expensive and was particularly soft, but wasn't sure how I could use a single ball. Eventually I took a good look at the ball wrap and discovered the line 'knit 1 scarf from 1 ball' and knew that the inherited stash was about to get 1 ball of yarn smaller!


I have never, ever knitted with yarn this expensive and questioned whether I could do it justice but decided I would give it a go.  To be honest, I hated knitting with this yarn to start with - it was so awkward to work, but as I got going and the moss stitch became stocking stitch it went a lot more smoothly.  I kept wanting to get to the next section of colour and probably knitted later into the evening than I should have done on more than one occasion.  From a ball of yarn that looked very fluffy but rather dull and brown I discovered bright green, strong purple and some moody dark grey. This yarn is deliciously delicate, fabulously fluffy, silky soft.  It will be given as a birthday present to someone next month.



These pictures show the four quarters of the scarf - I had begun to wonder at one stage whether the dye repeated itself and I think I may have been right - more or less - what do you think?



God willing I'll be linking this post into Ginny's Yarn Along on Wednesday.  Why not pop over and see what other people have been knitting.




8 comments:

  1. What lovely tones of colour in that yarn. It looks just fine. I think you are right it does kind of look like a repeating pattern. Funnily enough today I found a sock pattern on a ball band today which I may well do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and happy sock knitting - I've only ever managed two pairs but still have hope for more!

      Delete
  2. It's a lovely scarf you have knitted. What joy to have a stash of beautiful yarns! Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes a great blessing to receive an inherited stash :-)

      Delete
  3. Ohhh, taht looks so fluffy and wonderful! I'm knitting with a very similar yarn currently and love the result so far - but I find it a bit tricky to work with. So delicate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to read that I'm not the only one who struggled with such fine, fluffy yarn. I hope yours works out well :-)

      Delete
  4. The colour changes are quite beautiful and it looks so soft and cosy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very soft and cosy - I wish there was a way of letting people feel it online!

      Delete